Sunday, January 29, 2012

Hi!

Hi guys

I'm currently contemplating deleting my facebook. I wonder if it will be worth it.
I think of facebook like xbox. Lots of my friends have xboxes and communicate through video games. But I'm glad I don't have one, because I know it's a waste of time.
Facebook, I've realized, has been more of a drain than it has been a positive addition to my social life. I think it gives me the illusion that I'm being social, while in reality I'm blankly staring at a screen.

I think the best thing to do, would be to delete it. However, I'll tell my friends that I'm deleting it, and that if they ever need to contact me, the best thing to do would be to text or call me.

I was talking to my friend Peter two days ago who has been facebook-free for two years, re-activating it temporarily for a few weeks when he was running for class president, and when he sent an angry message to a friend's ex-girlfriend. He tells me how it makes him feel happy every time he thinks about how he doesn't have a facebook, and how most things there are just trivial things.. and gossip. But he put it very well, and I couldn't help but agree.

If I cared less about what people thought, I'd probably have an easier time letting go of facebook. However, having a tool for flaunting my social life appeals to me a little. I can put up a virtual version of me, and I can make it look however I want.

It's a matter of whether the good outweigh the bad, which it doesn't. It's kind of scary how much people care about and put time into facebook, myself included. I want real relationships and not dwell in past events that don't pertain to me at all. I want a real life, not a virtual one.

2 comments:

  1. I think for young people like you, you are exactly correct. After you've been out in the world for a bit, it's nice to catch up with old friends from high school and college. I've enjoyed it a lot, though I don't live on it. And yes, I prefer a phone call. Txting isn't much better than Facebook!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah it's definitely better not to live on it. once you become attached though it's hard to get off of it. maybe i just need to cut down more.

    ReplyDelete